BEA'S BOOK NOOK "I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once." C. S. Lewis “If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Soapy Saturday June 13th, 2015


I've been wanting to do something non-bookish on the blog but couldn't think what. I'm not much for cooking, I can't garden worth a darn, and I don't sew, knit,or do anything creative. Then I remembered that I make soaps, bath salts, and sugar scrubs, and that's both creative AND crafty. Every other Saturday, or when I remember :D, I'll share some photos and recipes and chat a bit. I'm by no means an expert, it's a casual hobby, though for a few years I did have an online store. I still sell if you ever want to place an order.


Last time, I said I'd share some photos of wolf paw soap I've made. The first few were inspired by wolves in Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series and the wolves in Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series. I even gave the soaps to the respective authors who inspired them. I used the descriptions in the books to guide me in choosing the colors and scents. Just like the coyote paws, I used molds made from real wolf tracks.

These I made about 5 years ago when a group of us at Patricia Briggs' board put together a birthday basket for her. These were inspired by her werewolf Samuel. :)


Just for comparison, here's a photo comparing coyote and wolf paws. Remember, these are made from real animal tracks. The bigger one of course is the wolf. :D These were also made for Patty and her husband Mike. I used clear glycerine soap and added dried leaves and herbs to give the impression of running through the woods. I intended them to be decorative but Mike said he actually used them.


Apologies for the poor photo quality. My old cellphone had a terrible camera.


The wolf and coyote paws have been some of my best sellers. The black wolf paw below was a custom order; the customer requested lilac scent but black color.


This was a custom order also; burgundy color but the scent is cool basil.


I don't consider myself a creative person but I have fun with my soaps, coming up with colors and scents and additives. Some turn out well while others are awful :D but I have fun. And when something doesn't turn our right, I melt it down and make something new out of it. If I can't 'fix' it, I use it in my bathroom or kitchen. I haven't bought soap to use at home in years.

11 comments:

  1. You're creative, having the taste to do that and having fun with it, I do like your paws :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Bea, you grabbed my attention here! I always wanted to make my own soap after visiting a small, handmade soap shop in Maine and chatting up the owner, who sold most of her stuff online. I backed away from doing this as a hobby because I'm afraid of having lye used around my pets, and I have no laundry room sink (just in kitchen and bathrooms) so figured you needed a "slop sink" to wash out your items in. Am I wrong on this? I don't have a lot of facts, just that I love soap and currently have 4 unopened bars with various textures and scents that I bought at gift shops :) I would buy soap from you-- do you have a website for it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't make mine from scratch; I use glycerin melt and pour soap bases. There's a wonderful variety and you're not messing around with lye. You can buy them at Michael's Crafts or various places online.

      I took my website down but you can drop me an email, beasbooknook@gmail.com. I'll post the links to my FB info, there are more pics.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for clarifying! Sounds like fun and a useful hobby too. I will check out your facebook.

      Delete
  3. Bea's Bubbles Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/59582321808/?ref=bookmarks

    Bea's Bubbles fan page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beas-Bubbles/15347137445?fref=ts

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are amazing, Bea! Do you make your molds too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but I've gotten resourceful about what I use for molds: muffin tins, cake pans, ice cube trays, candy molds, PVC pipes, etc. If it can tolerate heat, it's usable.

      The wolf and coyote paws are from http://www.acornnaturalists.com/store/COYOTE-TRACK-MOLD-P1466C9497.aspx

      It's actually a science site but their molds work well for soaps too.

      Delete
  5. Oh that's very neat that they're from real paw tracks. I'm the same as Rita. Always wanted to try my hand at some of the soapish things but was too nervous to try. That's great they have some that are more user friendly compared to starting from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are awesome! I've wanted to try making soap but never have. I love the idea of a cool basil scented soap and the wolf's paw is great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Bea, these are very creative so you can't say you're not crafty! Love the wolf's paw. I bet bookish themed soaps would sell great.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers. Let's talk!