BEA'S BOOK NOOK "I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once." C. S. Lewis “If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Saturday, November 28, 2015

2016 Finishing the Series Reading Challenge Sign Up

2016, Finishing the Series, Reading Challenge, Bea's Book Nook

Finishing the Series was formerly hosted by Socrates' Book Reviews and is now hosted by me. We all start a series or six and then get behind for one reason or another. This challenge will help you catch up.

The details:
  • All books that are part of a continuing series qualify (i.e. Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson, Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum, James Patterson's Alex Cross, etc.)
  • It doesn't matter if you have 1 book or 10 books in a series to complete it, it qualifies (i.e. if you only need to read one more Mercy Thompson book to complete the goal, that's fine) The goal is to complete a series from wherever you are up to until the last published book.
  • The qualification period is January 1, 2016 to December 31, 2016. Books must be read during this time frame to count. Sign up is now until December 1, 2016.
  • Take the button above and post about it on your blog. Use the link below to sign up and make sure you link it directly to your post about this challenge, not to the home page of your blog.
    If you don't have a blog, that's fine. Just leave a comment to sign up and tell us which series you are reading. Or you can join the Goodreads group for this challenge by clicking here.
  • Each month there will be a post where you can link up your reviews. Write a review - 2 sentences or an essay, whatever works for you, but there is a minimum of 2 sentences. Not sure what to write? How about something like, "The characters were a delight but the story was slow and confusing. It was disappointing."
  • Any format and length of book counts - print, audio, ebook, etc.
  • You should choose the series you want to finish before the challenge begins, but it isn't necessary. It's fine to change series during the year - as long as you complete whichever series it is.
  • Choose a level below.

Level 1 (Novice series reader) - Complete 1 series.
Level 2 (Testing the waters) - Complete 2 -4 series.
Level 3 (Experienced) - Complete 3 - 6 series.
Level 4 (Expert series reader) - Complete 7 or more series.

My goal: Level 4

Vampires in America by D.B. Reynolds - 3 books behind, not including 2016 releases
Lusty, Texas by Cara Covington - 6 books behind, the middle of the series mostly. Yes, I have been bouncing all around, reading out of order. I own them, I just need to catch up. And there will be several more coming out in 2016. I'll be busy. :D
In Death by J.D. Robb - 2 books behind plus the 2016 releases
Hellequin Chronicles by Steve McHugh - I'm 3 books behind plus any 2016 releases
Meg Langslow by Donna Andrews - I'm 7 books behind plus whatever releases in 2016 and I'll need to get most of them from the library. It'll definitely be a challenge catching up!
Naked Werewolf by Molly Harper - I have 1 left to read; I own it; I just need to read it.
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead - I just have the final book to read. I've owned it for years but have procrastinated reading it because once I do, then the series is really, truly over. :(

32 comments:

  1. Oh... I have SO many series to finish. Love these kind of challenges. I'll be signing up as soon as I round up all my review books ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so need to finish a few series so this is right up my alley, but I already signed up for a series challenge.

    Good luck everybody!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to join in!

    http://www.kristiesbookbarn.com/2015/12/08/2016-finishing-the-series-reading-challenge/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just joined the challenge. hopefully this is the motivation i need to finish some of my open series

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's helped me this year to finish off some series.

      Delete
  5. I plan on joining but first, do re-reads of series count? So say if you have started re-reading Harry Potter this year and have a few more to finish next year, do they count? And also what if you have started a series a while ago (Like me with Tomorrow, when the war began) and you read the first book and half of the second book but don't remember what happened, does it count if you re-start?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re-reads won't count but any new reads in the series you re-read will count.

      If you re-start and finish a book you that you started but didn't finish previously, that will count.

      Delete
  6. I've signed up and put this in my Reading Challenges page, but I'm not sure which series I will be going with. I'll probably make a post for January.

    Also, what if you START and FINISH a series in 2016, does that count, or does it have to be series that you already started?

    Great challenge idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starting and finishing a series in 2016 definitely counts. :) Several of the series I finished this year were just such examples.

      Delete
  7. Hi Bea! :-) I'm joining in, hoping that I can conquer some more series this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woo! Most of what I read these days is some kind of series. I'm aiming for Level 3. I included my Goodreads shelf link above, but I will also be participating on Instagram. :)

    - Cassandra @ Wickedly Delicious Tales

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wasn't going to do it, but here I am :) I'm in at level 2.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once I saw that series you start and finish counted, I knew I was in. Great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for hosting this challenge. =)

    Lonna || FLYLēF

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm seriously limiting the challenges I'm doing this year, but I think this will be one I go for because finishing up series is a major goal of mine this year. Question - do I have to pick the series I'm going to finish in advance or can I just say I'm going to catch up on 5 series and figure out which 5 as the year goes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Berls, happy to have you! No, you don't have to decide on the series or books in advance and you can add or delete them during the year.

      Delete
  13. My blog has pretty much kicked the bucket and shuffled off this mortal coil. I've joined the Goodreads group and added this feed to my Yahoo.
    I'm trying Level 2, just to be realistic.

    Thanks for hosting!
    Gaijinmama in Tokyo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm in! Thanks for hosting :) I have SO MANY series I'd like to finish -- hoping this will keep me on track for the year so I can make some progress!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for hosting. I have a lot of challenges I hope and plan to finish this year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am in at Level 4! I have SO many series that I need to finish. I started making a list and there are already over 60 series that I need to finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 60?! Wow. That's a lot of reading. Good luck!

      Delete
  17. I tried searching for the January review sign up post, but I didn't find anything...?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I REALLY needed this challenge :) Trying for 6! Best of luck on your challenge and thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Was wondering when you would put up the January and February review link up posts? :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your levels kind of overlap... Level 2 is 2-4, Level 3 is 3-6. Shouldn't it be 2-3 and 4-6? Not that it really matters...:P

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't find links to post a January or February review...so here is my first review, for a book that finishes a series, The Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr:
    http://www.shelfari.com/books/19572/The-Angel-of-Darkness/reviews/4931257

    ReplyDelete
  22. I definately need this challenge! I've go so many series on the go, I'm losing track :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. So I have 8 completed series and 8 almost completed series, listed below
    Splintered by A.G. Howard
    (COMPLETED)
    #1 Splintered - READ
    #2 Unhinged – READ
    #3 Ensnared- READ
    Grisha by Leigh Bardugo
    (COMPLETED)
    #1 Shadow and Bone – READ
    #2 Siege and Storm – READ
    #3 Ruin and Rising – READ
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
    (COMPLETED)
    #1 Under the never sky – READ
    #2 Through the Ever Night – READ
    #3 Into the Still Blue - READ
    Chemical Garden Series by Lauren DeStefano
    (COMPLETED)
    #1 Wither - READ
    #2 Fever - READ
    #3 Sever – READ
    The Magisterium Series by Holly Black & Cassandra Clare
    (5 BOOKS/ 3 TO READ)
    #1 The Iron Trail - READ
    #2 The Copper Gauntlet - READ
    #3 The Bronze Key - READ

    The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare
    (COMPLETED)
    #1 Clockwork Angel – READ
    #2 Clockwork Prince – READ
    #3 Clockwork Princess – READ
    Firelight by Sophie Jordan
    (COMPLETED)
    #1 Firelight - READ
    #2 Vanish - READ
    #3 Hidden – READ
    Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
    (COMPLETED)
    #1 Forest of Hands and Teeth - READ
    #2 The Dead-Tossed Waves – READ
    #3 The Dark and Hollow Places - READ

    The Lunar Chronicles by Marrisa Meyer
    (4 BOOKS/ 3 TO READ)
    #1 Cinder - READ
    #2 Scarlet - TBR
    #3 Cress - TBR
    #4 Winter - READ
    Red Rising by Pierce Brown
    (3 BOOKS/ 2 TO READ)
    #1 Red Rising - READ
    #2 Golden Son - TBR
    #3 Morning Star - TBR
    Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan
    ( 5 BOOKS/ 4 TO READ)
    #1 The Lightning Thief - READ
    #2 The Sea of Monsters - READ
    #3 The Titan's Curse - READ
    #4 The Battle of the Labyrinth - READ
    #5 The Last Olympian - TBR
    Michael Pronko Essays
    (3 BOOKS/ 2 TO READ)
    #1 Tokyo's Mystery Deepens READ
    #2 Beauty and Chaos TBR
    #3 Motions and Moments TBR
    Firebird by Claudia Gray
    (3 BOOKS/ 2 TO READ)
    #1 A thousand pieces of you - READ
    #2 Ten thousand skies above you - TBR
    #3 A million worlds with you - TBR
    The Curse Worker Triology by Holly Black
    (3 BOOKS/ 2 TO READ)
    #1 White Cat - READ
    #2 Red Glove - TBR
    #3 Black Heart - TBR
    Legend Triology by Marie Lu
    (3 BOOKS/ 2 TO READ)
    #1 Legend - READ
    #2 Prodigy - READ
    #3 Champion - TBR
    The Winner's Series by Marie Rutkoski
    (3 BOOKS/ 2 TO READ)
    #1 The Winner's Kiss
    #2 The Winner's Crime - READ
    #3 The Winner's Curse - TBR

    ReplyDelete
  24. http://rachaelc94.blogspot.com/2016/12/my-year-in-reading-challenges-2016.html
    Thank you for hosting this challenge! I love series and finshed three this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers. Let's talk!