BEA'S BOOK NOOK "I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once." C. S. Lewis “If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Friday, April 17, 2020

Friday Memes: Murder in the Dark by Kerry Greenwood

I'm participating in two Friday book memes, Book Beginnings On Fridays, hosted by Rose City Reader, and The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice.

Every Friday, share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name. For the Friday 56, grab a book, any book. Turn to Page 56, or 56% on your ereader. If you have to improvise, that's okay. Find a snippet, short and sweet. Post it, and add the url to your post at the link here.

I downloaded this from my library as part of my continuing quest to read this series from beginning to end. I'll be sad when I get to the end of the series. I've tried this author's contemporary mystery series and it lacks the joy, the spark, the wit, and the delight of this one.


Monday, 24th December
1928

Very few people turned Phryne Fisher down. With her looks, which were those of the cinema star Louise Brooks, her wealth, which was that of Croesus, her elan, which was remarkable, and her appetites, which were reputed to be those of an unusually broadminded nymph, she didn't hear 'No' a lot. Mostly people said nothing but a correctly phrased 'Yes, please.'

Heh, Phryne really isn't used to being told no. Whether through charm, logic, or bullying, she usually gets what she wants.


The quote is from 56%  in the ebook.

Phryne waited. Ted looked at Rob. Rob looked at Ted. Ted shrugged. Rob spoke. 'He's a gunman, Miss.'


Have you read this one? What did you think? What book are you embarking on? Please share in the comments.

31 comments:

  1. Oh, I have noticed these mysteries around and love the covers and the blurbs. Adding this one to my list! Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy! If you've seen the TV show, forget all about it before reading the books. There's little similiarity.

      Delete
  2. Hi Bea,
    Sounds mysterious, I'll have to add this to my
    ever growing list. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mysteries are usually good in this series. Plus Phryne is a memorable character.

      Delete
  3. I have seen these books around but haven't picked one up yet. Phyrne sounds like a great character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really is. She can be unlikable sometimes but she's unforgettable.

      Delete
  4. Oh, this seems to have a noir vibe, which I love :)
    Konna @ The Reading Armchair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little, but it's not really noir. More like Nancy Drew meets the Thin Man meets Susan B. Anthony.

      Delete
  5. I'm curious for more! Happy weekend, stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this series, but I have watched some of the TV episodes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, very little in common. Both are good but they are very different.

      Delete
  7. The TV show caught my eye first, so I never picked up the books. Maybe it is time. I like the quotes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like both but as I said up the thread they are very different. Phryne is toned down in the show; she's more abrasive in the books plus more sexually adventurous in the books. The TV creates a romance, eliminates a romance, kills off 2 characters from the books, completely erases a character, and majorly pumps up a minor character.

      I like both the show and the books but you have to approach them as two separate entities that happen to share a name.

      Delete
  8. I love seeing all the various Friday memes that people participate in. I try not to over-extend myself but there are so many good ones to choose from, I want to do them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many good memes out there! I've seen three different Friday memes involving quotes and at least two that post on Thursdays. It would be easy to never post a review but just participate in memes. Good luck picking and choosing!

      Delete
    2. For the longest time when I was super stressed with work last school year, that's pretty much all I did, memes! State of the ARC, Top Ten Tuesday, Books From The Backlog, First Line Friday, and Stacking the Shelves. It definitely helped to keep new content even when I was not motivated to review, so that's a bonus - but now I am so far behind on reviews I hardly have time to put together the meme posts

      Delete
  9. That opening sentence is pretty funny since it is so long and detailed. Ha! My quotes and review

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting. I wonder how she will react to no. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read a couple of books in this series and really loved it. I need to go back to the beginning and read it from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I did, and its been interesting seeing the progression of the characters.

      Delete
  12. This sounds really good and I love the cover of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this series. The cover is a still from the TV show.

      Delete
  13. I like what I've seen of the tv show - I'm going to have to try some of the books. :)

    Check out my Friday spotlight and my review of Shorefall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know what you think of them if you do.

      Delete
  14. Interesting. So it's also a TV show?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, yes. It ended a few years ago. I think it's on Acorn now.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers. Let's talk!