BEA'S BOOK NOOK "I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once." C. S. Lewis “If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Friday, January 24, 2020

The Friday 56 and Book Beginnings on Fridays: The Holy Thief by Ellis Peters

I'm participating in two Friday book memes, Book Beginnings On Fridays, hosted by Rose City Reader, and The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice.

"The Holy Thief" is book 19 in a 21 book series. I'd read the occasional book years ago and decided a few months ago to read the whole series from the beginning. I'll be starting this one this weekend.

Book Beginnings Rules:

Every Friday, share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.

In the height of a hot summer, in late August of 1144, Geoffrey de Mandeville, Earl of Essex, deferred to the heat of the sun, and made the final, fatal mistake of his long and opportunist career.

Friday 56 Rules:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to Page 56 or 56% on your ereader. If you have to improvise, that is okay.
*Find a snippet, short and sweet.
*Post it, and add the url to your post at the Link here.here.


The quote is from 56%  in the ebook.

Hugh liked him from the first; and so do I like him, I like him very well. And it entered his mind uninvited to wonder about the strangeness of human relationships.

What book are you embarking on? Please share in the comments.

18 comments:

  1. A final fatal mistake. Bummer. What a way to start. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the quotes. Enjoy your current read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have all of Ellis Peters books. I think they're fascinating.
    Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This series is fantastic. Thanks for visiting. :)

      Delete
  4. It's great that you've caught up on an older series. I was thinking I would do the same with the J.D. Robb series--I've only read 3-4 of those. Sounds a bit daunting, but once you get into the flow of the stories, it's easy to get caught up.

    It's been a while since I've seen one of your posts--it feels like visiting with a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaw, thank you Catherine. <3

      I'm actually also doing a series read of In Death. It has been daunting but it's the first time I've read in order and I'm enjoying it.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like an interesting read! Hope you love it! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been meaning to read this for ages. Happy reading.

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting quotes. Sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like it could be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm about halfway through and it's not quite as interesting as I'd hoped but it's still good.

      Delete
  9. Fatal mistakes, you say? That's definitely an opening that grabs one's attention. The 56 snippet is interesting, too (and I concur, human relationships are strange).

    Here's my Friday post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Human relationships can be very strange, lol. Thanks for visiting. :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers. Let's talk!