BEA'S BOOK NOOK "I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once." C. S. Lewis “If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Sunday, April 15, 2018

Libraries Around the World! This Month, Angel's Guilty Pleasures & Millbrae, CA

Hello and Good Day!


My name is Angela, owner and blogger at Angel’s Guilty Pleasures. I’ve been blogging for 4 years now, mainly about books, and have had the pleasure of hosting the Library Love Challenge for 2 years.


I’ve been invited to Bea’s Book Nook today to share with you my love for my local library and to hopefully get you to come join me and Brooke Blogs in the 2018 Library Love Challenge that we co-host. The challenge is all about loving your library, and as an added bonus we are offering up a pretty amazing giveaway to one lucky winner at the end of the year, so come and check it out.


Now that you know about me and my lovely challenge, let's introduce you to my library. Welcome to my library; Millbrae San Mateo County. This is my home away from home, my second love, after my family.


My love for libraries started early and I have continued that tradition with my son. Just after he was born I took him to the Baby Storytime offered every week at the library. Now that he is in kindergarten we only do story time in the summer when he’s out of school. After story time is over we spend some time picking out books and movies, and playing in the kids area. Our library has a very nice kids area to explore.

As I mentioned, this is my home away from home. I visit my library once a week to browse the shelves or pick up books that are on hold. I also like to stop in the library bookstore; Friends of the Millbrae Book Store, and see what they have in. (A book store IN the library? How cool! ~ Bea) Who knows what goodies I’ll discover, and I can’t pass up a great deal, especially when the proceeds help support my library.

Checking out the shelves full of books at my library!

Since I live in a big city, my library partners with several libraries in the county to deliver books to your preferred library. So say I go online, and search for a book I want to read, Red Wolf by Jennifer Ashley, and find out that it’s checked out at my library, but is available at another library. I can then request the book and they will put it on a truck and bring it to my library for me to borrow. I really like this partnership. 

They also have this same partnership online through OverDrive and Hoopla. You do have to have a library card pr membership to be able to download materials. I love both apps and the variety of materials; with Hoopla you can stream audiobooks, music, video & ebooks, and with OverDrive you can do ebooks and audiobooks.



Besides print and digital books, they also offer DVDs, CDs, manga, magazines, and newspapers, and they offer some books and materials in the Korean and Chinese languages for residents who want or need them.

Another great thing about libraries in the US is all of the different programs, workshops, and activities they offer. At my library every month they have different things going on. As I said, I do story time, but we have also done, in the summer, some fun kids programs. One such program aims to get your children ready for whatever grade they are going into in public school. It’s great for younger kids doing Pre-k/kindergarten or 1st grade. Some other events and activities they offer are computer classes, book clubs for adults and teens, tax workshops, and so on. I just hop online to their calendar of events and can see what's offered and join in on anything I’d like. Everything is free, which is another great feature about the library.

Most US libraries offer library cards for free. My library does, but there are some where you have to pay. The only fee that my library charges is a late fee for overdue books and materials. So I always make sure I’m on time in my returns, or I renew the books.


Lastly, and one of the most important things for me about the library, is the amount of money you can save by using your library. Just check out my 2017 Library Savings for the year. I saved over $660 dollars just for my books, eBooks, & audio books. If I added in all the materials I got for my kid in books and movies we are looking closer to $800 - $1000 on savings. That’s awesome!!!

I LOVE libraries. They are amazing places, full of amazing adventures. A library can give you the opportunity to explore, find new authors, new worlds, and to learn. It’s a magical place.

“I don’t have to look far to find treasures. I discover them every time I visit a library.” ~ Michael Embry

Thank you for this opportunity to share with you my love for libraries and to share my library with you today!



Thank you Angela for sharing with us today, and for the photos of your library. :)

If anyone, particularly anyone outside of the US, would like to talk about their library, send an email to Bea at beasbooknook@gmail.com.

Angela @ Angel’s Guilty Pleasures

2 comments:

  1. Thank's Bea for showcasing my local library. I had a lot of fun putting this together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing with us, Angela :) This is the very first time I've read about a bookstore in a library !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers. Let's talk!