BEA'S BOOK NOOK "I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once." C. S. Lewis “If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Friday, March 24, 2017

A Home Without Books, Can You Help? A Guest Post by Author Linda Poitevin

Today I'm delighted to have one of my favorite ladies and authors, Linda Poitevin, on the blog. Linda Poitevin is a writer possessed of both a light side and a dark one. On the dark side, she’s the author of the Grigori Legacy, an urban fantasy series featuring a hard-as-nails cop caught up in the war between Heaven and Hell. In her lighter moments, she writes the sweet and funny Ever After contemporary romance series. And when she’s not plotting the world’s downfall or next great love story, she’s a wife, mom, friend, coffee snob, gardener, walker of a Giant Dog, minion to the Itty Bitty Kitty, and avid food preserver (you know, just in case that whole Zombie Apocalypse thing really happens).

Today, though. she's not here to talk about a book, well, not one of her books. Let me turn things over to Linda and she'll explain.


******

A few weeks ago, I began volunteering as an English tutor for a family of Syrian refugees new to Canada and to the English language. On my very first visit, I noticed something that was, to me, mind-boggling: they have no books.

None.

Not a one.

They have, through the generosity of their sponsors (private sponsorship of refugees is allowed and encouraged here in Canada), tables, chairs, beds, dishes, clothing, and even a few pictures on the walls...but no books.

There are three boys in the family, ages 7, 13, and 14, who go to school and are learning English there; and there’s a mom and dad who are taking English second language classes. The boys have homework, of course, and Mom and dad have photocopied workbook pages for their homework, but apart from that, there isn’t a single printed word in the house. Oh, and mom is functionally illiterate, too. 😟


My friends, this simply will not do. Photocopied worksheets are not how anyone should learn to read and write, and books…books open hearts and minds and entire worlds. They’re as essential to a home as tables and chairs and beds—maybe even more so. And so I’ve made it my mission to fill up this home and others like it with words and colourful pictures. Lots of them. Picture dictionaries, early readers, colourful workbooks…whatever I can lay my hands on that will help this family learn the language of their new country–and hopefully learn to love that language.

And the best part? You can help me. 😃

I’ve created a Go Fund Me page where you can make a donation (every dollar helps!) to help me bring books to as many families as I can. Check it out, give if/what you can, and share the post widely…for the love of words, the love of reading, the love of helping others, and my undying gratitude.

Thank you so much! 😃

P.S. If you’re reading this and you’re in the Ottawa, Canada area, I’m accepting donations of used children’s books as well. You can email me at info@lindapoitevin.com to arrange pickup. 😃

******

Linda said that as of Monday, March 20th, she had reached $625 and was ordering more books. Can you help out? Even a couple of dollars will help, and if you spread the word, then more people can give.




Linda and I thank you, and have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers. Let's talk!