BEA'S BOOK NOOK "I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once." C. S. Lewis “If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Top Ten All-Time Favorite Authors

 

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly discussion feature and meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. I won't be participating every week, just when I have the time and can make time to answer the question. This week's topic is the Top Ten ALL TIME Favorite Author. I'm not sure if I can keep this at 10 bet I'll try. Also, the list is subject to change; some authors have been faves for years while others come and go. Authors who would have made the list a few months or years ago have shifted and moved out of the top. Thus, a few months from now, this list might look different.

In no particular order, because this is hard enough as is:


JRR Tolkien, fantasy - He did amazing things with language and mythology; his creativity is truly awe inspiring and he could tell a tale.
Lynn Kurland, romance and fantasy - her romances are among my favorites. Her blend of humor, story telling, and strong characters won me from her first book.
Jessica Scott, romance - This woman, this author, kills me. Strong, passionate writing that makes you think and makes you feel. She makes me laugh, smile, and cry. Her romances are among the best around.
Kelley Armstrong, urban fantasy, horror, mystery, and thriller- Complicated stories that are relatable at their heart, she writes about the other and belonging while drawing you in with dry humor and memorable characters who inspire love and hate. I like her urban fantasy the best but her horror and her mysteries are strong too.
Patricia Briggs, fantasy and urban fantasy - Like Kelley Armstrong, she writes complicated stories about the other and belonging with rich, strong characters. She explores the depths to which people will go for power and for love.
Krista D Ball, fantasy, urban fantasy, romance -  Oh my, where to begin? I have yet to read a story by her that I didn't like. Her women are strong and competent and so are her men. She can do light, funny, or rip your heart out. Her writing is full of intelligence, humor, rich characterization, and depth.
Dick Francis, mystery - Dry, sly humor, wickedly smart plots, characterization that could be weak or multi-layered, he was an excellent mystery. writer. While he followed a formula, his books were richly researched and detailed. I've lost track of how many times I've reread his stories.
Laura K. Curtis - Curtis is a recent favorite. She can do sweet romance or thrilling mysteries. Her characters are just trying to do the right thing or figure out where they're going in their life. Like them, lust over them,or love them, they keep you reading as do the engaging stories that keep you turning the page or swiping the screen.
Sandra Boynton - a children's author, her humor, her artwork, and understanding of young children make her books fun and easy to read, over and over and over and over....
J.D. Robb/Nora Roberts, mystery, romance - I put the Robb name because these days I'm enjoying those books just a bit more than the Roberts titles. But under either name.,she writes strong, rich relatable characters and evokes place beautifully. Her romances are real and her mysteries are, if not always believable, always engaging. She's a comfort read.

So, who are YOUR favorite authors? Help me find new authors. :)

14 comments:

  1. I haven't read many of these authors. I keep meaning to read some Nora Roberts though! I've heard good things. My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice list. I don't think I could cut it down to ten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tolkiens books i phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only read a few of these, but I've been meaning to check a lot of them out. Great list! :)
    Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! There are a lot of authors on here I haven't read before, so I'll definitely have to check some of them out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nora Roberts is on my list as well though I haven't read many of her JD Robb books. You've put both Kelley Armstrong and Jessica Scott on my Authors to try list and am looking forward to both of the authors. Sandra Boynton is a great addition to the list! I think I've had most of her books memorized at one time or another. I can still recite The Bedtime Book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I'd almost forgotten about Dick Francis. I used to read him a lot. I should go back to his books -- I remember really enjoying them. Thanks for the reminder!

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list, I have only read a couple from that list though. :)

    Stormi
    Tuesday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've got a good list, Bea! I've read books by a number of the authors and even have a couple on my list! Others I haven't read so I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read anything by these authors, but I'll have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh yay for Lynn Kurland and Nora Roberts. I love both of them!! I do need to get back to reading Kurland one of these days she writes great romances.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great list...must have been so hard paring it down to ten!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I like your list, Bea! Dick Francis came within a hair of making my list - he would have, if it was a top 20 or 25. His books are wonderful, and I re-read my favorites every few years. Nora Roberts came close, but I only discovered her a few years ago, which means I haven't had time to read enough of her backlist or start re-reading yet. (I know; I'll never get the entire backlist read, and that's fine!) Kurland is on my list of authors I'd like to try; I have about 4 of her fantasy novels on my to-read shelves downstairs. And of course you know Tolkien is on my list! I'll be making notes on a few of the others that I'm not familiar with, and probably bumping Briggs up the TBR list as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers. Let's talk!