BEA'S BOOK NOOK "I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once." C. S. Lewis “If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Monday, October 13, 2014

Quote-Tastic #59 You Look So Respectable, You Know.


Join us every Monday and share a favorite quote that's grabbed you for one reason or another. Everyone's welcome to join in - authors, bloggers, readers. The more the merrier! Just grab the button and put up your post :) Don't have a blog? No worries, just leave your favorites in the comment section.  Quote-tastic is hosted by Herding Cats & Burning Soup.

Another oldie but goodie this week; this one is a cozy adventure story. I have mad love for the Mrs. Pollifax books by Dorothy Gilman. Mrs. Polliifax was a widow and grandmother who was bored with her life so she applied to join the CIA. Through a series of mix-ups, she gets hired and proves herself to be amazingly resourceful. She's eccentric, wise, compassionate, level-headed, and clever. Most of the earlier books are quite dated now but their mix of zaniness, wisdom, and gentle satire keeps me coming back. "The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax" is the second book in the series.


In this scene, set in Turkey, Mrs. Pollifax and her new friend Colin are trying to dispose of a body, another CIA operative, that they've temporarily stored in Colin's uncle's van.
.



"Cemetery!" exclaimed Mrs. Pollifax thoughtfully.
Colin looked at her. "You can't possibly-"
"But we must find somewhere appropriate to leave Henry."
He groaned. "You look so extremely respectable, you know." 
"I have a flexible mind-I believe it's one of the advantages of growing old," she explained. "I find youth quite rigid at times. Why not a cemetery?" 
Colin sighed. "I daresay there's a certain logic there. You're not-uh-thinking of burying him as well?"
"That would be illegal," she told him reproachfully, "and scarcely kind to Henry."



7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. She is a neat character. I enjoy her tremendously.

      Delete
  2. I have a whole pinterest board of quotes that grab me. :D Today, I'll go with a John Connolly that has been coming mind lately:

    The nature of compassion isn’t coming to terms with your own suffering and applying it to others: it’s knowing that other folks around you suffer and, no matter what happens to you, no matter how lucky or unlucky you are, they keep suffering. And if you can do something about that, then you do it, and you do it without whining or waving your own fuckin’ cross for the world to see. You do it because it’s the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's an excellent quote! *goes off to stalk Laura on Pinterest*

      Delete
  3. I used to love books just like this one. I wonder that I never ran across it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this one is from 1970. They're fun books, you should see if you can find some at your library or used bookstore.

      Delete
  4. I've been wanting to read this series for ages Bea and I love the '70s cover :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers. Let's talk!