BEA'S BOOK NOOK "I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once." C. S. Lewis “If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Review of Charmed Knits by Alison Hansel





Publisher: Wiley 
Release Date: May 7, 2007
Buying Links: Amazon  Barnes and Noble




Blurb: 
Sit and Knit a Spell
Off to the Quidditch match
You'll soon be knitting enchanting things you didn't know were within your powers. Charmed Knits offers dozens of patterns for items that evoke the mystique of Harry Potter - a Wizard Robe, an Invisibility Shawl, a Quidditch Sweater, Ron's Ragg Raglan, a Clock Blanket, Harry Christmas Ornaments, and more. Easy-to-follow patterns, color photos of the finished projects, and illustrations of special stitch patterns and design elements make it easy for all knitters - from beginners to those at Mrs. Weasley's level - to work knitting magic. Charmed Knits whisks you away on a wonderful journey. Along the way, you can pick patterns inspired by the Weasleys, stock up at Diagon Alley, show your house colors, conjure up gifts, or create pieces to help you feel at home in the magical world of Harry Potter.



My Thoughts:
I thoroughly enjoyed flipping through all the patterns, even the ones that I don't want to try. But could not resist putting a homemade touch on my kids' Halloween costumes. Last year my daughter only had the scarf, but I managed to get the set completed for this year's festivities. The patterns are very easy to read and follow.  And the author gave the brands and color names for everything she used. (It's so hard to make sure you're getting the right colors when ordering online.) 

Not everything is exactly like the movie...the Invisibility Shawl is a pretty lace thing. And I don't recall the Wand Cozies at all - but I still think I'll make a go of them before next Halloween. But all in all, I'm very glad I picked up this book, both as a Potter fan and a knitter. I usually won't pick up a book of patterns unless there are at least two that I would want to do...in this book, I think there are maybe 3 that I wouldn't want to do. Out of 28 patterns, that's a deal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers. Let's talk!