BEA'S BOOK NOOK "I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once." C. S. Lewis “If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Review of Trace of Fever by Lori Foster

Publisher: Harlequin

Release Date: May 31, 2011

Series:  #2 in Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor

More Info:  Amazon    The Book Depository

Book Blurb (from Amazon):

Undercover mercenary Trace Rivers loves the adrenaline rush of a well-planned mission. First he'll earn the trust of corrupt businessman Murray Coburn, then gather the proof he needs to shut down the man's dirty smuggling operation. It's a perfect scheme—until Coburn's long-lost daughter saunters in with her own deadly plan for revenge.
With a smile like an angel and fire in her eyes, Priscilla Patterson isn't who she seems to be. But neither is the gorgeous bodyguard who ignites all her senses. Joining forces to plot Coburn's downfall, Priss and Trace must fight the undeniable heat between them. For one wrong move, one lingering embrace, will expose them to the wrath of a merciless opponent….

My Thoughts:

I'd heard of Ms Foster before but had never read one of her books. This sounded like something I'd enjoy: a sexy, romantic suspense, exactly what I like. And I did. While I didn't love it, I did enjoy it and I want to read the next one, "Savor the Danger", which is already out. Trace comes across at first as macho, silent, cocky; he's all of that but he's also compassionate, kind, and principled. He definitely believes that the ends justify the means but he's also got a strong set of morals that he abides by. He also has a sense of humor. Overall, he's a pretty well rounded character.

I didn't find Priscilla, or Priss as she's usually called, to be quite as well fleshed out. We're told Trace's motivations for his actions pretty early on and we get a deeper look over the course of the book. Priss though, she's keeping secrets and not just from Trace but from the reader as well. I also found her backstory to strain credulity; it could happen but it seemed far-fetched to me.

I enjoyed the interactions between Priss and Trace and Priss and Jackson, a colleague of Trace's. The writing can be quite sharp and funny:

 "My balls still hurt. It's affecting my brain." "Your brain is located a little low, isn't it?" 

"With this dress, undergarments are out." Priss squeaked. "I have to be naked underneath?"

His eyes narrowed. "Sweet? I offer to kill a man and you think it's sweet?"

The story was a little convoluted and it could have benefitted from some trimming but overall, I liked. The characters are mostly well written, Trace and Priss make a good couple, and the plotline compelling. I expect I'll be reading more of Ms Foster's books.

I received this paperback from the publisher for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers. Let's talk!