BEA'S BOOK NOOK "I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once." C. S. Lewis “If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Interview with author Susan Roebuck

Susan Roebuck is "a published author, a book lover and protector of the laurel forests in Madeira."

Originally from the UK, she's traveled to every continent, and now lives outside of Lisbon, Portugal. Impressed yet? She also has been a teacher, a translator, a journalist, a blogger and a devourer of books! Writing from a young age, she's published bits and pieces over the years.

 Perfect Score is an excellent debut novel, and I was very happy when she agreed to answer a few questions. She's my first interview for the Nook!

********

1. In Perfect Score, you have great details in regards to Sam's knowledge of animals, herbal medicine and living on the streets. The same goes for Alex's love of music. What kind of research did you do for a story?


Tons. You know the old fundamental writing rule: write about what you know? Well I broke it. I admit I’m a little like Sam in his love for animals but the only time I rode a horse in my life, it died. Well, not immediately – some days later. However, I do have friends who ride so that bit was easy. And so was herbal medicine. We have lots of woods around here and I was out one day with some friends and a woman I didn’t know very well. She went into raptures over weeds: “St. Robert’s Herb. Fabulous for cystitis. Goldenseal – who’s got a cold?”
I don’t know anyone living on the streets but I got the idea of Itinerant Dan from a story someone told me. Then I read Orwell’s Down and Out in Paris and London which was really inspirational and touching. I love music but have the musical ear of an ant. However, friends come in very handy and I have one who used to play in a band. But to go back to your question: I had to read many books (Bob Dylan’s Chronicles, James Herriot’s vet series are just two). And the internet – what would I do without dear old Google? I do think it took me longer to research than it did to write the book.

2.M/M stories can lead to some controversy - what drew you to writing this one?

It didn’t start out as M/M. Sam was a girl at the beginning – I swear! “Perfect Score” was originally set at the Woodstock Music Festival in 1969. Alex was a musician and Sam was a girl fan. But the story evolved until the end product didn’t resemble the original in the slightest – except the date and I kept to that because I wanted to bring the problem of dyslexia to the fore and how it was so misunderstood even relatively recently. Sorry – back to M/M. It just came naturally because Sam couldn’t have withstood the hardships as a girl so he had a miraculous, overnight sex-change. In any case I believe true love can hit anyone and I have no problems with M/M. Some of my readers have told me they’d never read an M/M novel (ewwww, they say), but they forced themselves to read mine and were truly surprised by the naturalness of the romance which, let’s face it, isn’t the core message of the story anyway and it’s not at all erotic. It’s more about corruption, overcoming hardships, and two people trying to be worthy men in a worthless world (too many wwwws, sorry).

3. I know you are an avid reader, do you have a particular genre that you prefer?

I’m an eclectic reader. I read everything and my favourite is the Ghormenghast trilogy by Mervyn Peake. I’d like to write a gothic novel one day but they’re not very popular just now. I review a lot of romance novels for different websites but on my Kindle at the moment I have: If This is Paradise, I Want my Money Back by Claudia Carroll which was absolute rot and predictable (I hate that); The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton; Angel Time by Anne Rice: Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford; Comfort and Joy by India Knight; A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.

4. Do you hope to keep your writing to one genre, or will you try your hand at a variety of them?

A variety. My second novel’s well underway. It’s not M/M (and it won’t be), not terribly romantic but with a bit thrown in. It’s set between the UK and Portugal and those touchy subjects are coming up again: corruption, injustice. The main character’s got some strange powers, but it’s not fantasy or paranormal, and there’s a female bullfighter who’s very bad indeed.
Once that one’s out I’d like to get more risky. Risky, I said, not risqué.


You can find more of her musings on her blog, Lauracea and she contributes to Dream Books LLC blog with interviews, reviews and commentaries on the world of books.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jax! I really enjoyed your questions because they allowed me to waffle like mad! Many thanks for letting me guest on your blog and, as for your review, you a GEM!
    If anyone wants to ask any more questions, I'm around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you again Jax for letting me in on your blog. I loved your questions and you let me waffle to my heart's delight.
    If anyone wants to ask a question - feel free!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers. Let's talk!