BEA'S BOOK NOOK "I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once." C. S. Lewis “If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Friday, June 26, 2020

Friday Book Memes: Rogue Protocol by Martha Wells

I'm participating in two Friday book memes, Book Beginnings On Fridays, hosted by Rose City Reader, and The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice.

Every Friday, share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.

For the Friday 56, grab a book, any book. Turn to Page 56, or 56% on your ereader. If you have to improvise, that's okay. Find a snippet, short and sweet. Post it, and add the url to your post at the link here.

Earlier this summer Tor made all 4 novellas in the Murderbot Diaries free for downloading as part of their monthly book club. I missed book 2 but got the others. I borrowed book 2 from the library and I've just started book 3, Rogue Protocol. They are science fiction stories told from the POV of an artificial lifeform. He kind of reminds me of Marvin the robot from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.



I have the worst luck with bot-driven transports.

Not the most enthralling of openings but since I started this right after finishing the previous book, I was intrigued.


The quote is from 56%  in the ebook.

I heard Abene in the feed for the shuttle, warning Vibol and the others and telling them again to stay onboard, not to come after us under any circumstances.

I'm only 3% in so I'm not sure what is happening but it seems like, once again, Murderbot is in the middle of a fight.

Click on the cover to go to the book's Goodreads page.

Share in the comments what you're reading.

26 comments:

  1. I downloaded all the Murderbot stories too. Thanks for reminding me that I really should read them. "Out of sight, out of mind" describes too many things on my Kindle. This week I'm spotlighting Aloha Night by Nalini Singh. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that problem with the Kindle well, sigh. Have a good weekend!

      Delete
  2. The 56 grabbed me and pulled me in. I love the book cover, too. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it caught your attention. Thanks for visiting! Have a good weekend.

      Delete
  3. Murderbot stories sounds cool. I'd love to read this, and books with a similar theme. Checking them out now. :)

    Today I'm featuring You Can’t Catch Me by Catherine McKenzie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice blend of science fiction, intrigue, humor, and character development.

      Delete
  4. This book sounds really intriguing but maybe mostly because I loved Marvin and would love me some more of that action. Hope you enjoy the book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I did, and I'm on book four! Murderbot is depressed, like Marvin, but with a slightly better attitude and a sense of humor.

      Delete
  5. I picked the foursome up also. They look awesome! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a good deal, wasn't it? Have a good weekend!

      Delete
  6. I like the word murderbot. I want to keep saying it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bot-drivern devices? Can you believe that someday we may be in such a vehicle? Eek!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really need to get back to this series. I loved the first one. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really need to make time to try Murderbot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds intriguing. Even the cover is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of these days I need to start in on this series! :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have heard so many great things about the Murderbot series. I really need to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had too and I'm glad I tried it. Maybe see if your library has it?

      Delete
  13. Oooh, yes, I finished this recently. I've still got one more novella to get through before the novel, and I'm so excited! I can't believe it took me so long to discover Murderbot, because I absolutely love it. Hope you enjoy this one, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished the novellas and I'm on the waitlist at the library for the new novel.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers. Let's talk!