BEA'S BOOK NOOK "I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once." C. S. Lewis “If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Read-a-Long: How (Not) to Kiss a Toad (Cindy Eller Cupcakes #1) by Elizabeth A Reeves


Welcome to today's stop on the read-a-long for How (Not) to Kiss a Toad by Elizabeth A Reeves. Legend has it that Elizabeth A Reeves was born with a book in her hands and immediately requested a pony. Though this story is questionable, it is true that books and horses have been consistent themes in her life. Born in Massachusetts, she was quickly transplanted to Arizona by a professor father and creativity-driven mother, who is the one responsible for saying, "If you can't find a book that you want to read, write a book you want to read." In her spare time, she likes to knit, weave, hatch chickens, and chase after her husband and four sons.



Find Elizabeth online:

 Who is Cindy Eller? | The Last Selkie | Facebook


I am the eighth stop on the tour; if you want to read the earlier excerpts or read the next ones, check out the tour schedule:

June 3rd- Paranormal Romance Fans for Life (Excerpt #1)
June 4th- My Seryniti (Excerpt #2)
June 5th- Deal Sharing Aunt (Excerpt #3)
June 6th- Gimme The Scoop Reviews (Excerpt #4)
June 7th- A_TiffyFit's Reading Corner (Excerpt #5)
June 10th- I am, Indeed (Excerpt #6)
June 11thSimply Infatuated (Excerpt #7)
June 12th- Bea's Book Nook (Excerpt #8)
June 13th- Literal Hotties Naughty Book Reviews (Excerpt #9)
June 14th- Total Book Geek  (Excerpt #10)


*******************************************************  

EXCERPT

He cracked a grin that made him even more gorgeous, if that was even possible. I was pretty sure I was starting to drool. So much for avoiding that whole zombie thing. “Not an evil step-mother?”


I shook my head, sure I was creating a flour halo around my head. “Nope. I wish I could say she was my stepmother, but she’s really all mine.”



He laughed and I managed to smile back at him, hopefully not looking too frightening.



Wow, he had serious dimples. He must have frequent dimple mileage.

Darn it. I was staring again.

Toads, I reminded myself. Big, bad, slimy, toxic toads.

It didn’t help.

“This cannoli is spectacular,” Timothy Borden was saying, apparently--and hopefully!--oblivious to my inability to rub two brain cells together in his presence.

“Um,” I dazzled him with my stunning charm and wit. “Thanks.”

“What made you think to use crushed pistachios in the cream filling?”

I shook my head, trying to clear it. “I love pistachios with honey,” I managed, only slightly too fast. “I was thinking they would play off each other with that little hint of lavender.”

He smiled. “I think you aced it. In fact, I’ll take the rest of these. I can’t wait to show them off at work.”

Jessi nodded and started packaging the order.

“Would you like anything else?” I asked, hoping I sounded professional and not... like I was desperately asking him to order a serving of me.

He frowned slightly in thought, creating an adorable crooked furrow between his eyebrows.

“Bad girl,” I told myself. “Toads. Think toads.”

“I’ll take the ‘Road to Bliss’,” he decided, pointing at my brownie creation featuring three kinds of chocolate and Macadamia nuts covered in a shell of ganache.
“One piece?” I asked. “A dozen?”

He shook his head in thought. “No. I’ll just take the whole tray.”

I gaped at him yet again as Jessi compiled his order and rang it up. I stood stupidly as he paid with a credit card.

“You’ll be seeing me again,” he said over his shoulder, as he carried his packages out the door.

“Um,” I cleverly retorted.

 
*******************************************************  

Title: How (Not) to Kiss a Toad

Series: Cindy Eller Cupcakes #1

Author: Elizabeth A Reeves

Genre: Paranormal Romance

Publisher: self

Format: Ebook, Paperback
Length: 315 pages

Buy Links: Amazon |



Book Blurb from the author:



Life isn't always sweet for magical baker, Cindy Eller. All her life she's been cursed-- every man she's ever kissed has turned into a toad. Love isn't likely to come her way, she knows.



If that weren't a big enough problem, her 'curse' has come to the attention of the Council of Magic and she may never be able to use her powers.

Enter the perfect man-- handsome, sweet, and loves food just as much as Cindy does. It would seem to be a match made in Heaven, or is it?

Cindy isn't the only one keeping secrets.

With toads, cupcakes, romance, magic and ice cream, life never has time to get dull!
 


1 comment:

  1. I love the cover and it sounds like a fun read. :) Thanks for the excerpt as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers. Let's talk!