BEA'S BOOK NOOK "I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once." C. S. Lewis “If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Review of Blackout by Mira Grant

Publisher: Orbit
Series: Newsflesh #3
Release Date: May 22, 2012
Buying Links: Amazon     The Book Depository

Book Blurb (from goodreads):


Rise up while you can. -Georgia Mason

The year was 2014. The year we cured cancer. The year we cured the common cold. And the year the dead started to walk. The year of the Rising.

The year was 2039. The world didn't end when the zombies came, it just got worse. Georgia and Shaun Mason set out on the biggest story of their generation. The uncovered the biggest conspiracy since the Rising and realized that to tell the truth, sacrifices have to be made.

Now, the year is 2041, and the investigation that began with the election of President Ryman is much bigger than anyone had assumed. With too much left to do and not much time left to do it in, the surviving staff of After the End Times must face mad scientists, zombie bears, rogue government agencies-and if there's one thing they know is true in post-zombie America, it's this:

Things can always get worse.

Blackout is the conclusion to the epic trilogy that began in the Hugo-nominated Feed and the sequel, Deadline.


Reviewed By: Bea


Bea's Thoughts:

"conspiracy" the blurb says. Yeah, more like Holy Cow!  You need a score card, I swear, to keep track of the conspiracies and the players. Like "Feed" and "Deadline" this is a dark, intense, dense book, not to be read quickly or without your full attention. While it didn't hold my attention the way the first book did, it was a good read, that also gave me a lot to think about. Part of what, to me, makes this series so scary and horrific, is how plausible so much of it is. I can easily see so many of the events actually occurring, or something awfully similar. Considering Grant's disdain for conventional media, politics, medicine, and the government, that may seem cynical, but look at the US's history and current events, and really, not so different. Some of what happens, including the science, gets pretty wild and far out, and some authors would not have been able to make it believable, but Grant does. I didn't question the science, she made it very plausible, helped by the fact, as mentioned, that much of it really is plausible and possible.


Shaun, Becks, Mahir, Maggie, and Alaric are back in this book, as are the Masons, and Dr. Abbey, whom we met in "Deadline". If you read that book (and if you haven't read that one yet, stop reading me and go read the books!), there's a surprise appearance at the end of that book. All I will say (cuz I'm really trying to keep this review spoiler free) is that everything gets explained. Actually, a lot of things get explained in this book, loose ends tied up, and even some loose ends that I didn't realize were loose. :D Peter Ryman and Rick also make appearances towards the latter part of the book.


"Blackout" is a roller coaster ride, with emotion, action, character growth, more action, quirky characters, and not a lot of zombies. I actually would have liked more of them (and I'm not a zombie fan), but when they do appear, watch out! Grant has no qualms about maiming or killing characters. It's one of the things I like about her writing - she takes chances, and her characters never are stagnant (for those of you who don't know, she writes modern day fairy tales disguised as urban fantasy under her "real" name of Seanan MacGuire.) It's a long book, they all are, but they are definitely worth re-reading and they're the kind of books where you pick up on things that you missed the first time. In fact, you almost have to re-read them in order to get everything and fully appreciate the world that Grant has built. I love her world building, it's so utterly believable.


The ending was a bit of a letdown for me. It's not a happy ending, but "happy for now" is a good description of it. But, it was also a bit pat and after everything else, a bit rushed. That said, it's open ended enough that Grant could return to that world, if she chose, though maybe with different main characters. I don't use ratings here on the blog, but at goodreads, I gave it 4 stars.

Some spoiler-free quotes:

...it wasn't like they could advertise for staff on the local message boards. "Mad Scientist seeks Minions. Must be detail-oriented, well educated, and unconcerned by the idea of being charged with terrorism if caught." Just no.

"Less talky more shooty!" I snapped, and started firing.

"You're a crazy bastard, Shaun Mason, and I think sometimes you're not going to be happy until you've managed to get every last one of us killed, but you're a good man, all the same."

"You know, addressing my crazy by name doesn't exactly help me stay sane."

My review of FEED.

My review of DEADLINE.

I received a paperback from the publisher for review.

2 comments:

  1. What?? May 22nd?? B&N says no way not till June 1st..i am dying to read this and love this series..your review has me practically drooling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this series and I don't consider myself a zombie fan or a big hard science fiction fan. This series ROCKS!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers. Let's talk!