BEA'S BOOK NOOK "I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once." C. S. Lewis “If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Monday, January 9, 2012

Review of Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Publisher: EgmontUSA
Release Date: December 27, 2011
Buying Links: Amazon     The Book Depository

Book Blurb (from goodreads):

Every other day, Kali D'Angelo is a normal sixteen-year-old girl. She goes to public high school. She attends pep rallies. She's human. 

And then every day in between . . .She's something else entirely. 


Though she still looks like herself, every twenty-four hours predatory instincts take over and Kali becomes a feared demon-hunter with the undeniable urge to hunt, trap, and kill zombies, hellhounds, and other supernatural creatures. Kali has no idea why she is the way she is, but she gives in to instinct anyway. Even though the government considers it environmental terrorism. 

 When Kali notices a mark on the lower back of a popular girl at school, she knows instantly that the girl is marked for death by one of these creatures. Kali has twenty-four hours to save her and, unfortunately, she'll have to do it as a human. With the help of a few new friends, Kali takes a risk that her human body might not survive. . .and learns the secrets of her mysterious condition in the process.

Teaser:

"As long as I'm dreaming," I muttered, my words lost to the cacophony of the gym, "I'd also like a pony, a convertible, and a couple of friends."
"That's a tall order."
I'd known that there were people sitting next to me, but I couldn't begin to imagine how one of them had heard me. I hadn't even heard me.
"Would you settle for a piece of gum, an orange Tic-tac, and an introduction to the school slut?"
My Thoughts:

This book had a bunch of good quotes, that one made me laugh when I read it. It also is a good snapshot of the two characters. The "school slut" ends up being central to the story and of course, is not really a slut. She is a smart, funny, strong character, which also describes the lead, Kali, and Bethany, the girl whose life she saves. All of the teen characters are strong, smart and funny. Kali is also a loner, but she has a strong moral code and she doesn't back down; however, she's not ruthless, she does have compassion. She does what she thinks is right, no matter the cost to herself. Her mother left when Kali was three years old, her father is benignly neglectful and, when the story starts, she has no friends. But she copes, despite the loneliness and during the book, she makes friends and allies. She has a hard time coping with that at first and Bethany (Don't call her Beth! LOL) repeatedly accuses her of having a savior complex.

I sped right though the first 30-40% of the book, it was non-stop action. Then Barnes switched gears and the action slowed a bit while we learned more about her world and the characters, then the action picked up again. I really enjoyed the book: the characters, the dialogue, the world building, and the humor. I figured out early on the identity of one of the villains but Barnes had other surprises and twists and turns that I never saw coming. The story flowed, it made sense, and it was a fun read. It was the first book by Barnes that I've read but it won't be the last. At times, her voice reminded me of another YA author, one I've reviewed here many times, J.A. Campbell.


Some quotes:

I needed to find Bethany before I lost my nerve or my common sense. Her life depended on my being simultaneously brave and stupid.
Actually, yes. She was the kind of person who referred to her boyfriend's baby sister as "Little Miss Loose Legs." Leaving and never giving me another thought was exactly what I expected a girl like Bethany to do. "Seriously, Kali? I'm shallow, not a sociopath. There's a difference, and I am not leaving you here alone, so suck it up and deal me in." 
 "The bloodsucking parasite doesn't think I'm an animal," I said, my voice dry. "I feel so very comforted. Allow me to do my dance of comfort."
 Sometimes, the biggest truths were the simple ones-inescapable, undeniable, pure. I'd worn my secrets like a robe, and now I was naked. I was bleeding and visibly healing and utterly exposed.

I received an eARC from the publisher for review.

2 comments:

  1. Those are awesome quotes! I love it when books give you great take-aways!

    Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stacey. :)

    The book had lots of good quotes, I had more then deleted them so I didn't have too much of the book quoted.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers. Let's talk!