Publisher: Spot On Publishing
Source: the publisher in exchange for an honest review
Release Date: August 24th, 2016
Buying Links: Amazon* | * affiliate links; the blog receives a small commission from purchases made through these links.
Blurb from goodreads:
• Joanna Campbell Slan / Vendetta: A Cara Mia Delgatto Mystery – The House of Refuge on Gilbert’s Bar is known for its 150-year history as a way station for shipwrecked sailors. But when Cara Mia visits, the museum becomes the scene of a crime.
• Linda Gordon Hengerer / Dying for School Tea: A Beach Tea Shop Novella – Chelsea Powell and her sisters are providing treats for Citrus Beach High School’s freshman orientation. Can they solve the murder of the beloved softball coach before someone else dies?
• Carole W. Price / The Glass Birdhouse – Will Bella find clues to Fawn Daniel’s death in her unfinished glass birdhouse?
• Lesley Diehl / Bobbing for Murder – A visit from Darcie’s family is always chaotic, and this time the relatives bamboozle Darcie into having a Halloween party. Will that decision come back to haunt her?
• Nancy Jill Thames / Raven House – When reporter Karla Wilson is murdered after the Raven House Ball, will Jillian Bradley and her Yorkie Teddy uncover the killer and unleash Karla’s secrets?
• Teresa Trent / Falling for Murder – Helpful hints columnist Betsy Livingston is an expert at household organization but her skills are put to the test when she’s called upon to conduct an efficiency review for a haunted house.
• Maggie Toussaint / Dead Men Tell Tales – In this third installment of the Lindsey & Ike romantic mystery novella series, things don’t add up after a suspicious hunting accident. The more Sheriff Ike Harper and newspaper editor Lindsey McKay dig, the more questions they find. Will a dead man tell tales?
• Anna Celeste Burke / All Hallow’s Eve Heist – When a shooter decides to pick off patrons at Marvelous Marley World, publicist Georgie Shaw gets stuck mopping up the mess. Can she also track down the culprit?
• Randy Rawls / Accident, Suicide, or Murder – Retired policeman Jonathan Boykin’s primary interest is improving his golf game. Aaron Dunniker, his golfing partner, refers him to Homer Whittaker to investigate the death of Whittaker’s son. Young Whittaker died after a fall from an eleventh floor balcony during a Halloween party. The police investigated, but could not determine the cause: Accident, Suicide, or Murder. Are Jonathan’s detecting skills par for the course or will he miss the cut?
• Nancy J. Cohen / Haunted Hair Nights – As the new stepmother to a teenage Brianna, hairstylist Marla hopes to win brownie points by helping out her daughter with a haunted house project. Marla has her work cut out for her when she stumbles over a corpse.
• Terry Ambrose / Spirit in the Rock – Wilson McKenna dreams that Kimu, his ghost-advisor, is trapped in a museum display case. Kimu was McKenna’s best friend’s great-grandfather, dead now for over a decade. The only way McKenna can save him is to find a killer and solve the mystery of who stole the Spirit in the Rock.
• Deborah Sharp / Haunting in Himmarshee – When a ghost comes to call, Mace must sort out the haunted from the homicidal in Himmarshee, Florida.
I love cozies and themed anthologies can be fun so I gladly agreed to do this book. Unfortunately, my review copy arrived too late for me to read more than a couple stories so I'm only reviewing 2 stories. One used the fall theme perfectly, while the other was only tangentially related and could have been set at any time of the year.
Dead Men Tell Tales by Maggie Touissaint:
This story was only tangentially related to fall so it was a poor fit for the theme but it was otherwise a pleasant story. Part of a series, it worked fine as a stand-alone. The characters were fun and felt like the people next door; the mystery wasn't too hard to figure out but it wasn't glaringly obvious and I enjoyed the southern USA setting and the mix of journalism and police work. I did think that Ike, the sheriff, could have been portrayed more competently; Lindsey, his girlfriend and the local newspaper editor, did much of the work. They did work together at times and they respected each other's work. Overall, a good story and I'd like to read more in this series.
Dying for School Tea: A Beach Tea Shop Novella by Linda Gordon Hengerer:
This story was darker than I expected for a cozy, tackling the sensitive subject of sexual abuse. The topic was handled well, and the story was engrossing. We know the identity of the killer as soon as out heroine, Chelsea, does; the mystery is in proving it and catching him. Those were predictable but enjoyable. I liked this story and would like to read more in this series also. It did fit the fall theme of the antholoy.
Overall: I'm looking forward to reading the other stories in this anthology and am happy that I've already found two more authors to read and enjoy.
For a limited time, volume 4 has been bundled with volume 3 and you can get it for the sale price of 99 cents. Click on the cover below to purchase.
The authors are doing a giveaway, click here to enter.
Find out about the authors on their webpages below:
Great Escapes Book Tour: August 29 – September 11, 2016
August 29 – Reading Is My SuperPower – SPOTLIGHT
August 29 - Bea's Book Nook - REVIEW
August 30 – Cozy Up With Kathy – GUEST POST
August 31 – The Pulp and Mystery Shelf – SPOTLIGHT
August 31 – 3 Partners in Shopping, Nana, Mommy, &, Sissy, Too! – SPOTLIGHT
September 1 – A Holland Reads – GUEST POST
September 1 – fuonlyknew – SPOTLIGHT
September 2 – The Girl with Book Lungs – SPOTLIGHT
September 2 – My Funny View of Life – REVIEW
September 3 – Bibliophile Reviews – REVIEW, INTERVIEW
September 3 – LibriAmoriMiei – REVIEW
September 4 – Book Babble – REVIEW
September 4 – Sleuth Cafe – GUEST POST
September 5 – Laura’s Interests – REVIEW
September 6 – StoreyBook Reviews – GUEST POST
September 6 – Victoria’s Pages of Romance – SPOTLIGHT
September 7 – Back Porchervations – REVIEW
September 8 – Community Bookstop – REVIEW
September 8 – Queen of All She Reads – GUEST POST
September 9 – Brooke Blogs – REVIEW, GUEST POST
September 10 – Island Confidential – INTERVIEW
September 11 – Shelley’s Book Case – REVIEW, GUEST POST
September 11 – Kaisy Daisy’s Corner – REVIEW