BEA'S BOOK NOOK "I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once." C. S. Lewis “If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Children's Book Week Review of Loki's Wolves by K.L Armstrong and M.A. Marr

Publisher: Little, Brown
Series: The Blackwell Pages #1
Format: Hardcover
Source: I own it.
Release Date: May 7, 2013
Buying Links: Amazon  Barnes & Noble  The Book Depository

Blurb from goodreads:
In Viking times, Norse myths predicted the end of the world, an event called Ragnarok, that only the gods can stop. When this apocalypse happens, the gods must battle the monsters--wolves the size of the sun, serpents that span the seabeds, all bent on destroying the world.

The gods died a long time ago.

Matt Thorsen knows every Norse myth, saga, and god as if it was family history--because it is family history. Most people in the modern-day town of Blackwell, South Dakota, in fact, are direct descendants of either Thor or Loki, including Matt's classmates Fen and Laurie Brekke.

However, knowing the legends and completely believing them are two different things. When the rune readers reveal that Ragnarok is coming and kids--led by Matt--will stand in for the gods in the final battle, he can hardly believe it. Matt, Laurie, and Fen's lives will never be the same as they race to put together an unstoppable team to prevent the end of the world.
Bea's Thoughts:

Well, it's no secret I'm a Kelley fan. I've read just about everything she has ever published, regardless of genre. I haven't read anything by Melissa Marr but Kelley's name was enough to grab me; add in Norse mythology and I was sold. But...middle grade? I don't read it very often and much of it makes me want to gouge my eyes out. But, it's Kelley and it's mythology and it's a mythology that hasn't been done to death already. So, I ordered my copy.

The authors didn't let me down. Armstrong and Marr wrote a fantastic adventure story full of heartbreak, betrayal, growing up, and learning to trust; trust yourself, trust your instincts, trust each other. The main kids, Matt, Laurie and Fen feel real but aren't obnoxious and the others they pick up along the way, Baldwin, twins Ray and Reyna, and Astrid, are also realistic. It's a struggle for everyone to learn to trust each other and to work together. Matt naturally steps into the role of leader but it's a role he struggles with as he lacks confidence in his ability to lead and to stop Ragnarok and of course he makes mistakes along the way.

If you're not up on Norse mythology, or if like me it's been years since you read any, don't worry, the authors weave it naturally into the story. If you find it piques your interest, try out Kevin Hearne's adult urban fantasy series, the Iron Druid Chronicles where he mixes Norse, Celtic and other mythologies.

The story is not all angst; there's lots of action as Matt, Laurie and Fen leave home to find their remaining companions, encounter adults who don't understand, trolls who want treasure, etc. They not only have to find their other companions but acquire certain objects and pass a test before they can actually stop Ragnarok. There's only two books left and still a lot of ground to cover. Will they be successful? Will Matt and the others save the world? Will they survive the process? Will I survive waiting a year for the next book? "Loki's Wolves" is a wonderful, engrossing tale smartly moves Norse mythology into the modern world. Go get a copy now!

8 comments:

  1. THe Norse mythology sounds great and I am glad that Kelly didn't disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't actually realise this was an MG book, and so far no MG book has let me down as yet. Especially with two fantastic Authors like Armstrong and Marr…well lets just say there was no way it was going to be terrible :D

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally live under a rock, cause I didn't even know this was a Armstrong/Marr book!! DUH, *Facepalm* I think I would enjoy this book, and am going to add it to my pile! Great review, hun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard/read wonderful reviews on this, Great review Bea, so glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really does sound amazing. :) And two wonderful authors as well. :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers. Let's talk!