BEA'S BOOK NOOK "I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once." C. S. Lewis “If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Happy Birthday J.R.R. Tolkien!

It's J.R.R. Tolkien's birthday today. If he were still alive, he'd be 121 years old, practically a teenager in the elven world.

1892 Christmas card of the Tolkien family

I used to read both "The Hobbit" and The Lord of the Rings" every summer right up until college. My re-readings since then have been sporadic but I've read some of his other works. I was hesitant when it was first announced that The LotR was being made into a movie, certain they would not do justice to the books. I was pleasantly surprised and while I don't love adaptation of "The Hobbit", I'm glad it was done. Tolkien had an incredible imagination, combined with tremendous scholarship and his works have given me many hours of pleasure.

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers. Let's talk!