BEA'S BOOK NOOK "I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once." C. S. Lewis “If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Happy Birthday J.R.R. Tolkien!





It's J.R.R. Tolkien's birthday today. If he were still alive, he'd be 121 years old, practically a teenager in the elven world.

1892 Christmas card of the Tolkien family

I used to read both "The Hobbit" and The Lord of the Rings" every summer right up until college. My re-readings since then have been sporadic but I've read some of his other works. I was hesitant when it was first announced that The LotR was being made into a movie, certain they would not do justice to the books. I was pleasantly surprised and while I don't love adaptation of "The Hobbit", I'm glad it was done. Tolkien had an incredible imagination, combined with tremendous scholarship and his works have given me many hours of pleasure.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers. Let's talk!