BEA'S BOOK NOOK "I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once." C. S. Lewis “If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

What's On My Book Shelves, A Brief Tour


It's been ages since I did a discussion post and I thought it was about time I did. I know many us like to talk about the books we have waiting for us and heaven knows I have enough of them to talk about, lol.

While I don't have all of my books logged, according to what I do have logged, I have over 1600 books unread floating around my condo and on my Kindle. However, as I said, not all of my books are logged; that's an ongoing project. I have books on shelves, in piles on the floor, on my couch, on my coffee table, and even on my bed. Mind you, I have 11 bookcases of varying sizes and every room except the bathroom has at least one book case. It would be fair to say that books are my main decorating scheme and accessory. :D Sorry, no pictures, the condo is a mess right now.

The living room has my classics, my mythology, folklore, and fairy tale books, my humor books, high school and college year books, childrens books for the classroom and RE, unread print review books, and professional books (brain development, child development, literacy, music, editing, dictionaries, etc. and some reference books). In the office are my soapmaking books, more reference books (religion, philosophy, etiquette, symbology, etc) and some random books that had no other home. There are also several bags of books to be donated that I keep forgetting to, you know, actually put in the car, and donate. :P

The kitchen is boring, it has just cookbooks and a few local phone books. The bedroom has my genre books, mystery, romance, and speculative fiction, and some YA books that fall into those categories. By my bed I have a bookcase with a few meditation books, a few religion books, and my favorite speculative fiction authors - Kelley Armstrong (an entire shelf, double stacked, and part of another shelf), Patricia Briggs (almost an entire shelf, double stacked), all of the October Daye books by Seanan McGuire, and some books by Mary Brown, Tanya Huff, Anne Bishop, Carrie Vaughn, Mercedes Lackey, and JRR Tolkien as well as a few random one-offs and some unread, non-review, spec fic books waiting their turn.

Another bookcase has the rest of my spec fic books including a whole bunch of Star Trek novels, mostly from the 80s and 90s, Mira Grant books, Charles de Lint books, Anne MacCaffrey (mostly her Pern but a few others), and various other treasured spec fic books. The next bookcase is a mix of romance and mystery paperbacks - Nora Roberts, JD Robb, Sharyn McCrumb, Jessica Scott, Lynn Kurland, Bella Andre, Dorothy Gilman, Dick Francis, and random other mystery and romance authors. The last book case in the bedroom is a mish mash, being hardcovers or trade paperbacks that didn't fit on the other shelves, or random books that there was no room for on the other shelves either in the bedroom or in the living room. It has YA, MG, romance, classics, non-fiction, mysteries, and a few graphic novels.

My Kindle, oh my, it has so very many unread books and it's a similar eclectic mix. On my Paperwhite are a ton of ebooks and a few audio books, but most of my audio books are on my Kindle Fire and my cell phone. Those just work better for audio. My Fire, since it's a tablet and has color, has all of my illustrated childrens books and cookbooks. I don't bother with those on my Paperwhite, they just work so much better on the tablet. A few childrens books are on my phone but mostly my tablet so I'm not using up the storage space on my phone.

The Paperwhite has all of my review books, except for illustrated childrens book, and a variety of other books - romance, mysteres/thrillers/action, speculative fiction, YA, reference, professional, etc There are a few others that I own a lot of their ebooks so they have their own folders; those include Kelley Armstrong, JA Campbell, Jessica Scott and Krista D. Ball, among others. I keep most in the Cloud until I;m ready to read and then I download them. Otherwise, my Kindle fills up much too rapidly and I have to prune titles and send them to the Cloud.



What's on your shelves or ereader? How do you have your shelves organized?Share a picture, if you dare! :D

6 comments:

  1. Omigosh, Bea, you may have more unread books than me! Though I think we have more physical shelves of books (read and unread), with 19 bookcases in the house. Of course, not all of them are mine; 3 are my daughter's, one is shared in the kitchen, two downstairs house mostly books and lecture series we used for homeschooling (or wanted to use and didn't get around to), and one is my husband's. The others, however, are mine... and two of the bookcases hold unread books, plus I've got a single shelf or two on other bookcases. And then there's all the unread stuff on my Kindle. So yeah, a LOT of books to get through! But that's book lovers for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a little frightening to actually put a number to the unread books. 19 bookcases, I'm jealous. Although, I don't think my condo would hold that many. :D

      Delete
  2. I calculated up all the books I have listed and figured out at my current rate of around 130 books a year I'll have them all done in just over 30 years! I'm working on at least getting a catalog done for the books I have but I'm not even going to try to organize them until I get more bookshelves. I love how organized you are and how every type of book has a place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 30 years? Eeeep! You need a cat's 9 lives. A catalog is a good idea; I really need to finish mine. I don't think of myself as organized so it's nice to hear that, apparently, I am. :D

      Delete
  3. Oh My! You have a lot of books. I've moved so much that I've not picked up so many paper/hardcover books, but my eReader iPad has so many books on the cloud. On the kindle app I have just over 600 books, on my nook app 238 books, & 110 paperback/hardcover books on my bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, some of these print books I've had for 20 or 30 years. Add in the fact that I haven't moved in about 15 years and they have added up. Most of my ebooks are in the Cloud as my Kindle doesn't have room for all of my ebooks. :D

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers. Let's talk!