BEA'S BOOK NOOK "I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once." C. S. Lewis “If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Monday, March 19, 2012

Review of Illusions by Kacey Hammell



Publisher: Decadent Publishing
Release Date: February 28, 2012
Series: The Arms of the Law #1
Buying Links: Decadent     Amazon    

Book Blurb (from author website):

Detective Isabella Knowles, a tough-as-nails cop, lives by the law, and knows what she wants out of life. And it doesn't include marriage or all that comes with it. Everything Isabella has ever known seems like an illusion when a new relationship makes her feel more alive than ever before.  She isn’t happy about it and fights it every step of the way.

Burned by his fiancĂ©e years ago, seer and P.I., Brady Jacobs never wants another commitment in his life.  But his bachelorhood and heart are threatened when he has one of his visions and see a killer striking too close to the woman he has recently come to love.

Danger lurks close to home and neither Brady nor Isabella like that they can’t control every situation…especially matters of the heart.  

Contemporary Erotic Romance/Romantic Suspense/Paranormal(Seer)

Reviewed By: Bea

My Thoughts:

"Illusions" is the second story I've read by Hammell, and I enjoyed this one more than I did the first one. This is a quick and mostly enjoyable romantic suspense. I wish it had been a bit longer as I feel that some areas of the story could have been explored in more depth and the mystery part of the story wasn't given enough attention then BOOM! there's a crisis arising from the mystery.


I also found it unbelievable that no one in their town, not even the police, had a problem with Brady's visions and psychic ability. That just doesn't jibe with how people behave in the real world, there would be people who think he's crazy and people who would avoid him. Apart from that, I really liked the paranormal aspect of the story. I've long been a fan of stories that contain characters with psychic abilities.
Isabella had some rough times growing up and as an adult, she shies away from commitment, and doesn't believe in "happily ever after", or even in love. She hasn't had a serious relationship in a long time but she does have a friend with benefits. She keeps him a secret from her friends and family but it's obvious to the reader who it is. 


At first, Brady was content with their casual, "scratch an itch" relationship but lately, he's been wanting more. Isabella doesn't. That conflict is the focus of the story. There's a very hot sex scene early on that has me looking at door frames in a new way. :P I really liked Brady and wish I had one of my own. The secondary characters were also interesting, and I assume we'll be seeing them again. Although too short, it's a sweet story and a decent start to her new series, "The Arms of the Law".

I received a PDF from GoddessFish Promotions for review.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the review Bea. I'm very glad you enjoyed the story.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers. Let's talk!