BEA'S BOOK NOOK "I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once." C. S. Lewis “If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Review of The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa

Publisher: Harper Teen
Release Date: January 25, 2011
Series: Iron Fey #3
Buying Links: Amazon     The Book Depository

Book Blurb:

*May contain spoilers for previous stories*

My name is Meghan Chase.
 
I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.


This time, there will be no turning back.



Teaser:

I scowled at him. "You could stop reading my emotions every time I turn around," I said, feigning irritation, when in reality my heart was beating so hard I knew he had to feel it. "If it bothers you so much, you could find something else to focus on."
"Can't help it." He sounded annoyingly cavalier, completely self-assured and comfortable, lying there on his back. "The more we're connected to our chosen someone, the more we can pick up on what they're feeling. It's instinctive, like breathing."
"You can't hold your breath?"
'
My Thoughts:

*May contain spoilers for previous stories*

I liked this one very much, it's easily my favorite in the series so far. This was the first time where I really believed in Meghan and Ash's love. Though, I have to say, it creeps me out just a bit that this centuries old elf is lusting after a human teenager. Obviously, when a being is that old, there are going to be age discrepancies when humans and fey get involved. Still, the creepiness of it never quite left my brain while reading and has bothered me since the first book. If I set that aside, I really felt and believed in their love and devotion to each other in this book, whereas I didn't in the previous stories.


A lot happens in this book, and both the story and the action are fast-paced but Kagawa doesn't stint on the character development. There are twists and turns, and even when I guessed where the story was guessing, Kagawa did it in ways I didn't anticipate.We learn more about the Fey world and the Fey themselves and Kagawa brings back some characters from previous books, adding to the overall depth and texture of the world building.

Meghan grew up tremendously in this book, even more so than in books one and two. While still a teen in some respects, she's forced to make some very mature decisions and really think about the consequences of her actions. Now that doesn't mean the book is all doom and gloom but it isn't a light hearted read either. There's depth to this story, but it can also be enjoyed as a romance and an adventure story.

If you have read the prior stories, you HAVE to read this one. It's too good to pass up.

I received an eARC from the publisher for review.

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers. Let's talk!